Town of Chenango

Town of Chenango

1529 State Route 12, Binghamton, NY 13901  –  Town Court: (607)648-8565 | Town Hall: (607)648-4809

Chenango Justice Court
1529 NY RT 12*
Binghamton, NY 13901
(607) 648-8565

*If you are entering information into your GPS you may find entering 1529 Front Street a better location address.

Court Arraignment Hours

Tuesdays at 9:00 AM
Wednesdays at 9:00 AM

Court Clerk’s Office hours are normally 8:00AM until 4:00PM Monday through Friday. You may want to call to verify as there may be occasions the office is closed.

Please take notice that any financial transactions will be accepted only until 3:15PM.



No current message for jurors at this time. Thank you.



How do I answer my jury summons? Be sure to read your entire Jury Summons Notice. After 2:00PM on the day before the scheduled trial, you are to either call the court at 607-648-8565 press option 2 on the menu and listen to the instructions or check this website for messages in the HIGHLIGHTED area above.

When completing the Jury Information Form portion of your jury summons, please take notice that the JUROR NUMBER is located on the address portion of your summons next to the barcode that says JUROR INDEX.

Link to the Jury Commissioner’s Office

Where do I park?

Parking lot is located in the front of the Town Hall.


How do I answer my ticket?

You may have received a hand written ticket or a computer-generated ticket. It is the obligation of the receiving motorist to respond to the ticket. If the charge(s) are NOT MISDEMEANORS you may either appear on the date listed on the bottom of the ticket or you may sign the back of the hand written ticket or the right side of the computer generated ticket to indicate your plea of either guilty or not guilty. You then mail it to the court at the address listed above.

Note: Be sure to review all information printed on your ticket(s). To plead guilty, complete and sign Part A of your ticket, to plead not guilty, complete and sign Part B of your ticket.

Upon a plea of guilty, the judge will impose a sentence which could consist of a fine. Also imposed would be the NY State mandated surcharge. You will be notified by mail of the amount due and the process to make the payment.

Upon a plea of not guilty, you will be scheduled for a pre trial conference with the prosecutor to negotiate an agreement to plead guilty to a legally authorized alternate offense. Any proposed agreement is subject to approval by the court. Once your plea of not guilty is received and accepted by the court, you will receive the notice scheduling this conference and will also explain the process.

If you have been charged with a misdemeanor, you must appear in person on the date and time listed on the ticket. Or if you are being charged with a third or subsequent speed in an 18 month period, you must appear in court.

I missed my court appearance what do I do?

You should contact the court or if your attorney immediately. Depending on the matter at hand, non-appearances could normally result in one or more of the following: Arrest Warrant, Bench Warrant, bail forfeiture and/or the suspension of your driver’s license/privileges.

What is a supporting deposition?

A supporting deposition is a detailed account from the officer regarding the issued ticket. If you were handed an electronically issued ticket, the officer may have handed you the supporting deposition along with the ticket. Some officers hand the ticket and supporting deposition to the driver as one long piece of paper, some separate them.

I’d like to speak with someone regarding a reduction or plea bargain.

If you are charged with a traffic violation and before any plea bargains are accepted, you must first enter a plea of not guilty by appearing for arraignment before the judge or by completing Part B on the traffic ticket(s) you were issued. You may mail or drop the signed ticket(s) to the court office. Once a plea of not guilty has been entered with the court, you would receive further information with regard to plea bargaining.

Why can’t I send payment in with my ticket?

Because the judge will assess the penalty once a plea of guilty has been entered. Once assessed a Notice of Fine will be mailed to you stating the amount due and the process to make the payment.

How do I pay my fine?

  • Payments are accepted during the hours listed on this website.
  • You may pay in person with cash in the exact amount or with a debit/credit card.
  • You can also pay online at OR call 1-800-701-8560

A fee will be added to your credit card payment.

NOTE: Neither the municipality nor the court receives any portion of any fees.

NOTE: Neither the municipality nor the court receives any portion of any fees.

The following are NOT accepted:

Personal or business checks, or payments over the phone with a court clerk. You may call

1-800-701-8560 for any phone credit card payments


Do I need an attorney?

Although you are not required to have an attorney you have a right to have representation at every step of the proceedings. It is not recommended that you proceed to trial without the aid of counsel but you certainly have the right to do so.

Can I get a Public Defender?

You must call to make an appointment immediately. You will have to financially qualify for representation. Call the Broome County Public Defender’s Office at 607-778-2403 for further questions or to make an appointment for a qualifying interview. You are required to notify the court of your scheduled appointment.

How do I contact the District Attorney?

Broome County District Attorney’s Office
PO BX 1766, 45 Hawley St., 4th Floor
Binghamton, NY 13902-1766


Who do I contact about points on my license?

Contact NYS DMV at your local office or go to If you are an out of state driver, contact your home licensing state.

Point Assessment Charge as Established by The New York State Dept of Motor Vehicles

Speeding over the posted limit

1 – 10 mph = 3 points
11 – 20 = 4
21 – 30 = 6
31 – 40 = 8
Greater than 40 = 11

Speed not reasonable/too fast for conditions = 3
Following too Close = 4
Pass Red Light/Stop Sign = 3
Unsafe Lane Change = 3
Failure to Yield = 3
Improper Passing = 3

Failure to Obey Traffic Control Device = 2


For clarity, go to NYS Driver Violation Point System.

Why is my license suspended?

Depending on the reason for your suspension; you must either pay the fine/surcharge due or appear in court. If your license is suspended, and the effective date is July 5, 2009 or before, you will be required to pay a Suspension Termination Fee of $35.00 per suspension. Suspensions that go into effect on or after July 6, 2009, suspended drivers must pay $70.00. The Notice of Suspension from NYS DMV will give further information regarding this fee, or you can go to their website Submit your identified payment as outlined in the “How do I pay my fine?” question on this page along with a self-addressed stamped envelope. Send the Notice of License Suspension Order for endorsement and verification of the suspension date. Call the court clerk if you do not know the total amount due or for information on scheduling a new court date.

What is the driver assessment fee?

That notice came from NYS Department of Motor Vehicles and is separate from any fines or surcharges paid to the court. The fee is called Driver’s Responsibility Act (DRA). Go to for any questions pertaining to that fee.

What is the NYS Department of Motor Vehicle phone number?


Who do I talk to about the status of my license?

To find out any information regarding your license status or the effect of a conviction, contact or visit your licensing state Department of Motor Vehicles

How do I obtain my New York State Criminal History?

Call and contact the court clerk for the information and procedure

I was the victim of a crime. Who can I talk to?

You can contact:

SOS Shelter Advocacy Office at 1201 Man St. in Endicott, NY (across from U-E High School) 607-748-5174. The 24 hour Crisis Line is 607-754-4340. This hotline is for information and referrals to their shelter and /or other services and support.

Crime Victims Assistance Center Advocate Program at 45 Hawley St., Binghamton, NY 607-778-2423 ask for the Crime Victim Advocate. The 24 hour Crisis Line is 607-722-4256. This hotline is for information and referrals for victims of domestic violence as well as accompaniment to hospitals and law enforcement agencies.

The website is

For additional information you can review the website for the New York State Crime Victim Board at


When are evictions heard and what is the filing fee?

Evictions are heard the first, second and third Tuesdays at 9:30AM and the first and third Wednesdays 9:30AM. The filing fee is $20.00.

Contact the court clerk to select a court date.

Eviction Instructions (PDF)

The following link is for a guide specifically written for tenants in District, City, Town and Village Court nonpayment summary proceedings:

Click Here

Additional Resources:


Where do I file for small claims?

Small Claims can be filed with the Court Clerk. The party you are filing against must live, work or have a place of business in the Town of Chenango. They must receive their mail in the Town of Chenango. You must have the exact mailing address. Post office boxes are not acceptable. The allowable maximum amount to claim is $3000.00. For claims up to $1000.00, the filing fee is $10.00. For claims over $1000.00 the filing fee is $15.00. You must call ahead to make an appointment to file the paperwork. For more information you may pick up a booklet on small claims at the court office, may view the New York State Guide to Small Claims Court by clicking on the link below:

Is there an alternative to filing a Small Claim?

Yes. You can contact ACCORD (A Center for Dispute Resolution, Inc.). This is a mediator service which is free. In Broome County you can call 607-724-5153. Email at In Tioga County call 607-687-8222. Email at